Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Mixed Greens Strawberry Walnut Salad


Mixed Greens Strawberry Walnut Salad


I remember a little over a year ago, before going on Weight Watchers and losing 90+lbs, looking at the salads that my mother took to work every day (I work with her, not live with her) and thinking there was no way I was eating THAT. All that green and fruit, blah. There wasn't even any meat! Now that I've actually tried a few salads and have gotten a bit more healthy, I love them. I make this salad and take it to work every day (literally) and there isn't a day that goes by someone doesn't look at like they want to steal it. I find myself covering it with a paper-towel as I walk back to my desk. So instead of hiding it, I think I'll just share how to make it. Enjoy!

Az

Ingredients:

1 Tablespoon Sliced Honey Roasted Almonds (I use the All Natural Almond Accents)
1 Tablespoon Candied Walnuts (Any candied or raw walnuts will do but I like the store bought walnut frisco with little dried raspberries and cranberries)
1-2 Tablespoon(s) Craisins
5-7 Strawberries, Sliced
Greens of Choice
Dressing of Choice

Optional:
Cheese - To change things up, sometimes I'll add in some crumbled feta or shredded mozzarella
Extra protein - My wife likes to add Salmon or Tuna and I will occationally add grilled chicken breast



Directions:
Note: Don't forget to rinse your produce! Even "pre-washed" produce can pick up contaminates.

1.) We're going to start with taking our whole strawberries and slicing them up. I like a lot of strawberries in my salad so I normally use 7 or 8 but I think that 5 or 6 would be a fair amount.


2.) Next we'll get out our greens; this is a Spring Mix by Earthbound Farm and contains baby leaves of red and green romaine and oak leaf lettuces, lollo rosa and tango lettuces, red and green chard, mizuna, arugula, frisée and radicchio. I also like to add in some baby spinach when I have it (I don't at the moment, sadly).


3.) Because I usually use a honey mustard vinaigrette (spray), I add the dressing next and lightly toss the greens but feel free to wait until the end if you decide on something heavier.

4.) Now add in your dry toppings (Almonds, Walnuts and Craisins). If you decided to use extra protein, it would be a good idea to toss it with the greens prior to adding in the dry ingredients. This will allow you to get an even bite throughout the entire meal and not just have a bunch of lettuce left at the bottom of your bowl after being half way done.

5.) Lastly we're going to garnish (I use the term lightly since they take up the majority of my dish lol) with the strawberries. You should be left with something resembling this:

6.) The only step left is to dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment